Sunday, October 19, 2014

PR as a Mathematics Major

As most of you probably know, I am currently studying mathematics at ONU. I chose my major because I have always loved numbers and math problems, and there are many potential careers for me to consider. You can find more information about why I chose math as my major in my post "What are you planning to do with that?"

You might be asking why I am hosting a blog that contains mostly posts about PR and social media if I am studying mathematics, but the answer is simple: I am hosting this blog because it is required for my Social Media Principles course, but I thoroughly enjoy writing every week. Sometimes I feel a little strange sitting in class because I am surrounded by PR, Communication and Marketing majors, and they are taking the class for their major. I'm simply taking it because I thought it would be an interesting class.

Actually, I am interested in PR and communication classes because they are very different from my normal math classes. PR and social media is always changing and evolving and it's important to stay on top of the current media trends. Through my class, I have learned that PR is really all about relationships and building lasting connections between your company and its customers.

Before this class, I always thought PR was all about appearances and making sure you look good, but that's not necessarily the case. Obviously you want your company to be represented well, but it's more about how the customers are treated and how you deal with various crises that occur.

Although I am a math major and will probably rarely use the skills I'm learning in Social Media Principles for whatever career I choose, I think it's beneficial for everyone to see how they should use their resources to build relationships through a PR mindset. Even if I can't use these skills doing math problems, I can certainly keep them in mind for my own daily social media use and interactions with other people.

No comments:

Post a Comment