Monday, October 13, 2014

Home is Where the Heart is

This weekend was Fall Break for ONU, and I was lucky enough to spend my time at home with my family and old friends from high school. Although I couldn't wait to be home for the first time in 8 weeks, nothing went as I planned and this weekend wasn't as fun as I was hoping it would be.

Friday was Homecoming for my high school and I was really looking forward to the football game and seeing old friends. After being home and seeing my dog, I tried to get in my car to meet my friends for the game. Those plans hit a roadblock when my car wouldn't start; the battery was completely dead. My step dad pulled in a minute or two later and we attempted to jump the car, but that didn't work. The next 40 minutes consisted of us trying to get my car to start, until he finally offered to take me into town to the game. I was only 10 minutes late to the game. After that, everything was fun with my friends and we won the game!

After the game, I went to get some food with the friends I was meeting. I didn't realize how much I would miss having Buffalo Wild Wings, but those boneless honey barbecue wings hit the spot. My mom, Nolan, and I then went to watch my sister's band perform at a local bar. Spending time with family and friends is the best stress relief.

 The weekend was off to a great start, until Saturday night. Without getting into all of the details, I went to spend time with a few friends and it felt like everything had changed. I guess that's what happens when you leave your hometown for college. Old friends become just that, old friends. Now, not all of my friends from home have changed, but Saturday night made me realize that my "hometown" isn't necessarily my home anymore.

I will always have my family and there are some friends I see myself having forever, but my homecoming is not what I expected it to be and I think reality of change is beginning to set in. I love being home, but I can't wait to return to my second home at ONU.

No comments:

Post a Comment