Friday, October 31, 2014

The Professional Side of Social Media

Last summer, I joined LinkedIn because I needed to find a job for the summer. I was really struggling to find something that fit what I was looking for and a lot of businesses did not want to hire someone only for the summer, so I figured LinkedIn would be able to help me get what I needed.

Since then, I found and completed my summer job, but LinkedIn has been sent to the back of my mind. I still check my email and find messages about people wanting to connect with me. Maybe LinkedIn isn't a valuable resource for me at the current time, but I know I will use it in the next two years to help get a job.

I decided to do a little research about LinkedIn and I found an article titled, "6 Steps to a More Marketable LinkedIn Profile." The article outlined ways to improve your LinkedIn profile to become more appealing to future employers. The six steps include revisit your goals, layer in your keywords, strip out the clutter, reintroduce your personality, take a look at your profile picture and get recommendations. If you are serious about revamping your profile, click the link above to get more information about how to make yourself more marketable.

Even though I don't use my LinkedIn account as much as I should it is a great tool to find jobs and to connect with people. LinkedIn allows you build relationships in a professional manner, which will be beneficial for me once I graduate from ONU. All college students should begin thinking about how they want themselves to be seen by professionals all over the world, and LinkedIn is a good way to build a profile that will definitely be viewed by future employers!


2 comments:

  1. Michelle, I am glad that your LinkedIn profile helped in you finding a job! I am a culprit of not using my LinkedIn as much as I should. It also slips into the back of my mind and I know it shouldn't. I will probably use it more and more as I start looking for jobs! I am going to take a look at that article as well, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never made a LinkedIn account because I am a Musical Theatre major and I always felt that this kind of Social Media would not benefit me in my future job searches, but as I learn more about it I am beginning to rethink my opinions. I am now sure that I actually will make a LinkedIn account when I am trying searching for jobs in the "real world."

    ReplyDelete