Friday, December 5, 2014

Small School, Close Community

When I began looking into colleges two years ago, I knew I was looking for something small and somewhat close to home, and I found exactly what I was looking for when I came across Ohio Northern University.

I grew up in a small town outside of Bowling Green, OH, so I have always been accustomed to small communities and the 30 minute drive to reach an actual city. In my high school of close to 1000 students, I knew mostly all of the other students in my class, as well as the other classes. Some of my former classmates ventured off to places like Ohio State University, Penn State University, University of Michigan and, of course, Bowling Green State University, but I would have drowned in a sea of thousands of people had I attended a large school like my peers.

Well, what is there to do in Ada, OH? Honestly, not much, but that's ok with me. I can spend time with my friends, studying, making trips to nearby cities and simply enjoying the beautiful campus. As I mentioned previously, the thought of driving a half hour to go shopping is not a problem for me because I have done it my entire life. Anyway, what's more important when deciding what college to go to: shopping centers or the well-accredited academic programs?

Most people think going to a small school means you will know everyone on campus, but that is not true at all. Maybe it's just me, but there are still a lot of people I see on campus that I do not know. Ohio Northern is also a warm environment. I feel like even if I don't know someone on campus, we might exchange greetings and warm wishes.

I'm beginning to realize that I made a wise decision two years ago when I decided ONU was the place for me to further my education. Hopefully I will have the opportunity meet new people and enjoy what the next two and a half years of college have to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment