Monday, November 17, 2014

Wear Your Letters in Your Heart

This past weekend was Greek Leadership Day, and even though I did not get the opportunity to go to all of the presentations, the main speaker was absolutely wonderful to listen to. We all have certain events we must attend to receive different chapter ratings at the end of the year. Theses events are called Standards of Excellence (SOE) and they are typically educational type programs to help us grow as people and students. This weekend, the speaker was brought to ONU by the Panhellenic Council, the Interfraternity Council and Phi Mu Delta, and he taught us what our letters should mean for each and every one of us in Greek life.

David Stollman speaks to college Greek life students all around the country and spreads an important message that we often forget about during our time in school. During his presentation, he taught us what it truly means to me a member of a Greek organization and he shed some light on stereotypes and why there is a negative association with Greek life.

Stollman explained the original values all Greek organizations were founded on and asked us why ideas have changed. He asked why hazing was part of 'tradition' when our founders were focused on emphasizing love and acceptance. Being a figurative cow and being upfront with friends who need help but might not necessarily want it is an important part to effective brotherhood or sisterhood.

The most important part of the presentation was his discussion on hallow letters. Stollman explained that someone who is wearing hallow letters only wants to be a part of the Greek organization for the typical "frat boy image" or the social aspect of Greek life. They are present, but not for the true, right reasons. As an active member of Alpha Xi Delta, hallow letters are the most disappointing part of Greek life. I honestly love my sorority and all of my sisters, and it genuinely hurts for someone to wear the letters that so many generations have worked to maintain. I know people in other organizations who wear hallow letters and I can see the toll it is taking on the rest of the organization.

Stollman left by advising us to take our letters off our chests and put them into our hearts. By putting the letters in your heart, you are swearing to live up to the standards set forth by your founders and to live the ideals of your chapter in every day of your life.

If you are a member of any Greek organization, I highly encourage you to check out David Stollman because he is absolutely inspiring.  

3 comments:

  1. This presentation really resonated with me and I hope the majority of other Greeks felt the same way. The concept of hollow letters especially struck a chord with me. I know that I pledged so that I could be a member of an organization which sought to support each other in our efforts to grow as individuals. I know that many people's apathy towards that attitude hurts you just as much as it hurts me. That being said, I know that people like you can help to turn this thing around. Your letters are definitely on your heart.
    Moo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope each and everyone in the Greek community had their eyes and ears open. Some of us need to realize that traditions are what the founders started not what we have made them out to be nowadays. No longer is it acceptable to wear these hollow letters. Put your letters in your heart, and live that way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unforunately I was unable to attend this presentation, but from reading your post I can tell that it was very meaningful and left an impact on many students involved in Greek Life. I, myself, am involved in Greek Life and realize how important the meaning behind wearing your letters. Over the years, I think many people have transformed the idea of Greek Life to make it seem like a negative thing. I think if more people, whether in Greek Life or not, understood the meaning behind our sororities and fraternities there would be a more positive response to Greek Life.

    ReplyDelete